Monday, November 5, 2018

Enjoying Pensacola - Going Coastal


LIFE'S A BEACH - PENSACOLA, FLORIDA

Oak Grove Campground at the Naval Air Station in Pensacola, Florida. Home of the Blue Angels

Sunset at the Naval Air Station

We're at the BEACH!

We haven't blogged in a while, so I told Chuck that I'd write one this time.  It's been a fairly quiet few weeks, as we've slowed down (yay!) and are doing a lot of just living, instead of playing tourist.  After Hurricane Michael disrupted our plans to stay at Pensacola Beach, we spent 2 1/2 weeks at Navy campgrounds in Pensacola, drove 30 miles ands spent a couple days in Alabama, drove 90 miles for a couple days in Biloxi, moving another 35 miles to the beach at Waveland, Mississippi and then are headed for another few days on the beach in Mississippi and Texas before Thanksgiving.  A month and a half by the beach isn't too bad!

Work, work, work

I am amazed at how full life can be when you aren't working full time.  I have been working quite a bit lately, as I've been fortunate to have several freelance jobs come in.  It's kind of nice to turn away work because you're too busy...although I definitely am not working 40 hour a week.  I like putting in a couple of hours a day, but it does cut into my Facebook time.  I have also been working on Chuck's family tree.  I had a breakthrough where I identified a whole branch of Ketchums that are DNA matches to Chuck, and now I have to figure out exactly how they are related...and they've now added a chromosome browser to MyHeritage's DNA section, so I can try and map gene segments to family branches.  Of course, Chuck has thousands of DNA matches, so this is a long-term project.  It's getting me familiar with the technology, though.

Disk Golf for low-cost fun

Anyway, besides work and genealogy, we have enjoyed a bit of disk golf time.  Our campground at the Blue Angel Recreation Area in Pensacola had three 18-hole golf courses and the weather was nice while we were there, so we played every day!  And Chuck also took time to wax The Beast, so we are nice and shiny again.  We also have played in a city park in Pensacola and a city park in Biloxi.  It's a great way to get out and get some fresh air and some steps in.

NAS PensacolaPlaying on one of the Disc Golf courses at NAS Pensacola

Getting some exercise

I went and invested in a new Fitbit for myself, and am working on getting those steps in!  One thing about living in an RV is if you don't go outside, you don't get much exercise.  It's a whole 20 steps from the very front to the very back!  When it rains or the heat is too much, I end up walking in place or turning on the music and dancing....which looks foolish (I can't seem to get away from the full length mirror), but hey, it's exercise.

Our tourist activities


Other things we've done:  go to a wedding on the beach, mead tasting, finding Thai restaurants, meeting online friends in person, climb a lighthouse, watch the Blue Angels practice, walk on the beach, visit the Flora-Bama, snap a few sunset pictures, and relax!



Looking from Blue Angel RV Park into Pensacola Bay
Late afternoon sky at Blue Angel Recreation Area

http://swanneckwinery.com/

Trying a Mead Flight at Swan Neck Wine and Meadery



http://www.pensacolalighthouse.org/http://www.pensacolalighthouse.org/


Matt and Angies Wedding
A Beautiful Wedding


https://www.florabama.com/


At the Flora-Bama


Beach on Pensacola Bay

Beach at the Naval Station (no swimming allowed)

Naval Air Station Pensacola

Oak Grove Campground on the NAS Pesacola, the roof was chock-full of acorns after 10 days there!





2 comments:

  1. Sounds like you are moving at a reasonable pace. Enjoy the beach time while you can.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment. We appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are encouraged. Please let us know how we are doing.

Our most recent blog

"Stick Em Up" - Old Tucson Studio and Theme Park

High Chapparral Ranch Set Admittedly I'm old. How old? Let's just say I hold the patent on dirt. I grew up in the 50's whe...