Saturday, May 5, 2018

Birthday Eve in Santa Fe




May 4, 2018.  Tomorrow I turn 55 on 5/5.  There must be some significance to that, but I am not sure what it is.  I started my birthday celebration early.  We took a trip to Santa Fe for the day.

First, I got a Zen Massage at Downtown Day Spa. A 75 minute massage complete with aromatherapy (lavender and sage, mmm), Tibetan Singing Bowls (no idea what they do, but it was kinda cool), and a little Chakra work (I probably could have used a lot of Chakra work).  My therapist, Ridge, did an awesome job.  I was in la la land for at least an hour or two afterwards.  Sorry, no spa photos, but it was everything a spa should be....relaxing and charming with  a definite Santa Fe décor.

After the massage, we went to Casa Chimayo for lunch.

We were a little apprehensive when we arrived at 12:30 and the restaurant was empty.  But perhaps the Santa Fe residents are waiting for Cinco de Mayo to hit the Mexican restaurants.  We ended up quite satisfied with our lunches.  I ordered the Chicken Tortilla Soup, which was a little bland, but perked up with a couple of spoonsful of salsa. AND, of course the house margarita (since happy hour starts at noon here). Chuck ordered the blue corn enchiladas (as featured on Diners, Dives and Drive-Ins).  Nice atmosphere, nice service, decent food.  Oh, and two thumbs up to Santa Fe restaurants.  They tell you what is gluten free on the menus!!!




After lunch, we decided to take a trip to the Harrel House Bug Museum



Nestled in the corner of a mall storefront (the rest of which was like a trip to the bazaar -- with rugs, jewelry, and clothing), the bug museum was a hodge podge collection of mounted beetles, bugs, and butterflies plus REAL LIVE lizards, fish, frogs, cockroaches, and tarantulas.  We were offered a chance to hold the bugs at the end of our tour, but we both declined.  Vehemently.  Their admission cost is $5 for seniors and $6 for general public.  Kids are $3, I think.



Reminded me of the Giant Spider Invasion




Soft shelled turtle




It's ALIVE!

Following the bug museum, we decided to try out the Second Street Brewery at the Railyard and do some beer tasting.  We shared samples of the 8 beers they currently have on tap.  Most were too bitter for us, but we did like a couple of them.



Tomorrow the celebration continues with a trip to the Tent Rocks National Monument and some sightseeing closer to the campground.  And of course, a steak dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are encouraged. Please let us know how we are doing.

Our most recent blog

"Stick Em Up" - Old Tucson Studio and Theme Park

High Chapparral Ranch Set Admittedly I'm old. How old? Let's just say I hold the patent on dirt. I grew up in the 50's whe...